The factory space

Hornsea Pottery - Chapter 2

From its humble beginnings at 4 Victoria Avenue, Hornsea Pottery very quickly expanded its operation and moved to a site at Edenfield on the outskirts of Hornsea (present-day Hornsea Freeport) in 1954. The site had long been occupied by a Brick and Tile Works which had used clay, and dug from a deep pit (Note that Hornsea Pottery actually sourced its clay from the Midlands).

After much cleaning, some of the old buildings were retained and the kilns set up (the biscuit-firing kiln being the first major industrial installation supplied by North Sea Gas in 1968).

Located on Rolston Road, the Edenfield site and employed around 250 staff, producing three million articles a year, and became the largest employer in the town of Hornsea.

Image Gallery

Use the arrows to view more images

DDPH-9-1-1 13 In the sliphouse, making clay, nd. [1960s]

DDPH-9-1-1 21 Pouring liquid slip into moulds, nd. [1960s]

DDPH-9-1-1 26 Jolleying department, using latest streamlined equipment, 1960.

DDPH-9-1-1 27 Jolleying machine making flatware (Plates), nd. [1960s]

DDPH-9-1-1 39 Checking products, nd. [1960s]

DDPH-9-1-1 44 Screen printing. Applying resist print to biscuit-fired products, nd. [1960s]

DDPH-9-1-1 59 Tunnel kiln. Hornsea Pottery had Britain's first kiln to be fired by natural gas from the North Sea, 1968.

DDPH-9-1-1 67 Packing department, nd. [1960s]

DDPH-9-1-1 217 Maintenance department, nd. [1960s]

DDPH-9-1-1 221 Making liquid slip using the blunger machine, nd. [1960s]

DDPH-9-1-1 226 Casting slip into moulds, nd. [1960s]

DDPH-9-1-1 227 Worker in factory, nd. [1960s]